I Don't Do Accents

I have to admit that if I'm talking to you and you have an accent, then 99.9 percent of our conversation will not be understood. I don't understand why I'm so accent challenged, even when the person is speaking English but I am.

Case in point...my best friend and I were at the Cheesecake Factory and the waitress whose name was Inga or something close to it said, "Would you like bed and vodka?" I looked at my friend and she looked at me. I had hoped she would answer her but since she didn't, I asked her, "Exucse me???" meaning for her to repeat it, which she did. Hmmm, bed and vodka. Sure! So I told her, "Sure!" After she left, my friend asked, "Are they giving massages while we wait for our food?" I said, "I dunno but if vodka is involved, sounds god to me." Well, a few minutes later, it hit me,. She said, "Would you like bread and butter?" Big difference from bed and vodka.

Another time, my ex and I went out to eat shortly after Christmas and the waiter said, "Haba now habba nu yeah". I said, "Thank you." although I had no idea what he said. I started to laugh as the ridiculousness of the whole thing while my ex gave me dirty looks. Finally, it hit me...he said, "Have a nice happy new year!" Makes sense to me!

Comments

Cinder Rail'lee said…
hahahah, I used to be the same way. You have to read their lips. I can't hear people sometimes, because of their tone its either too low or too high, or they mumble. Frustrating at times to say the least!
I always stare at peoples mouths so I can understand what it is they are saying!
skywind said…
Oh, be careful that every people has its own accent speak. Ah not to does not recognize! :)
Health is the Greatest Happiness
The World at The Present
Pancake said…
I can be frustrated too, but if I can see their face I am good, if they are on the phone I am a goner!
Anonymous said…
HA! It can be so frustrating!
I am the same way. DUH!!!
Deb said…
Vodka and bed sound great. Really.
travel girl said…
While in a sandwich shop in London I was ordering a sandwich and the girl behind the counter was naming things, one at a time to see if I wanted them on my sandwich. With every question I had to say'pardon me?" i knew she was speking English but I just couldn't understand her.
Jill said…
lol.. Thank goodness I can understand when I am out with my parents because they will also just say THANK YOU no matter what the person is saying...

Popular posts from this blog

If you eat candy corn, there's no calories.

Guest Posting on Things I've Learned Parent Style