My life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you might find.
More questions On Being....Black
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Just a reminder that there's another blog to ask all questions pertaining to the guest blogger on a specific topic. This week, there's more questions on Being Black.
I read your post. I really HATE it when folks refer to other folks as that "white guy" or that "black chick" I really really really hate that. Now if you wanna tell me "You know, that idiot that keeps backing up into my car next door who is drunk day in and out" as a description, I am all good with that, so long as it is factual.
I also got tired of everyone spouting about Obama being the first African American. For starters he is half black, half white...so I think that makes him an equal opportunity president good or bad. I did vote for him, but not because of his skin color, but because he gave me goosebumps when he spoke an he oozed of confidence and was/is able to rally folks. Color of his skin, rather irrelevant...but I also understood the historical part of it too. I cried on inauguration day, yup, all day, I cried, with my 10 year old son.
I was raised by my grandfather who was an artist. I had been coloring in a coloring book and he looked at the brown tree, blue sky, green grass and took me outside. He showed me a tree and said, what color is it? Brown, I said. Then he took me very close to it and pointed out the green moss, deep ochres, reds, burnt sienna...when I look at someone, or in the mirror, and see white or black, I'm always reminded to look closer.
Don't you all forget about me! I will be back but I've got to get married, and moved and start a new job this coming up week. If I have a moment, I will be by to visit. In the meantime... Love and you shall be loved. - Emerson
At least, that's what I think. I'm a sucker for Halloween candy the day after. In fact, as my daughters were about 8 and 9, I started a tradition of having a family harvest party the day after Halloween. They did have the opportunity to trick or treat but in October, it's so cold that it's hard to feel any joy walking from houses that are 1/2 acres apart. The family harvest party consisted of buying at least 15.00 worth of candy discounted by 70 to 85%. The girls never saw what kind I had bought but they knew that it was usually something good and quite a lot of it. Then, my then husband and I would hide the candy all over the living room, family room, and kitchen while the girls stayed in their room listening for us to yell, "Come and get it!" They would scramble all over the place, lifting up vases, looking under the table and on doorway ledges until we were certain that they had exhausted the hiding places. Then, they dump it all and we'd count and find...
I've been invited to be a guest blogger at Mandy's Life After 30 . The topic is on parenting and although I'm not an expert, I was flattered that Mandy asked if I'd talk a bit about my life as a mom. My daughters aren't little anymore but the memories of when they were little still live on. Also, don't let this be your only visit to Mandy's blog . She is one of the most adventurous, creative mommies I know. (Not to mention that her and Kirk are such a cute couple and their baby girl, Vivian is one little one that I totally would love to spend a day with. She's adorable! See you there!
Comments
I also got tired of everyone spouting about Obama being the first African American. For starters he is half black, half white...so I think that makes him an equal opportunity president good or bad. I did vote for him, but not because of his skin color, but because he gave me goosebumps when he spoke an he oozed of confidence and was/is able to rally folks. Color of his skin, rather irrelevant...but I also understood the historical part of it too. I cried on inauguration day, yup, all day, I cried, with my 10 year old son.