Saturday, September 14, 2024

Scene from the front row of church

As a pastor's wife, I have a front row view. What does that mean? I get the privilege of seeing my husband and pastor, live out his calling. But even beyond the front row, I get a backstage view too. I see the times he is wide awake, praying for the church, the church family, the community and our family. I see the days where he wants to sleep in a bit but instead, gets up to head to the church. I see him as his trusts God to meet the financial needs of the church even when giving is low. Being a pastor's wife is filled with love,joy, concern, enthusiasm, weariness, surprises, laughter. Oh there is laughter. Like the one Sunday, Pastor J was doing communion and totally forgot that he hadn't distributed the wafers and grape juice. He was getting ready to put the wafer in his mouth after praying. I locked eyes and said loudly, "Ppppssst! Psst!" I waved my hand to catch his gaze and said, "Babe!" His response was, "What!?!" I laughed because he responded like he would if we were at home and in our comfortable voices. I said, "We didn't get our communion wafers!" The church had a good laugh at that one. Another time, he called the worship team up to sing one last song. He prayed and then dismissed. I said, "Babe, we didn't sing our song." He apologized but by that time, church was dismissed. I remember a time when he was really feeling under the weather. He played it off well but I could see that he was definitely trying to hold it together. Church dismissed and we went home and he went straight to bed. The most favorite moments are me whispering in his ear right before he goes up to preach, "I'm a big girl now!" because I mastered going down the steps from the stage on my own. :) More than anything, I feel honored to sit by his side. Hold his hand and pray for him. He is joy but even more to our heavenly Father, he is His!

4 comments:

Debby said...

I love this! Many times the Pastor’s wife is not sitting in the front row but usually in the nursery or children’s ministry or always needed elsewhere. I think it’s wonderful how you support him in his ministry to God.

Mari said...

I love this! Our Pastors wife sits in the front row too and is very supportive of her husband. We sit in the second row behind her. :)
My husband is in elder so knows the joys and hardships our pastors and families go through. Thank you for being a loving wife - it's so important!

Veronica Lee said...

What a sweet glimpse into your life as a pastor’s wife! I love the mix of funny moments and heartfelt ones—it really shows the love and support you share with him. Those little behind-the-scenes moments, like the communion mix-up, made me smile! It's clear you're both a great team, and your support means so much.

Chatty Crone said...

I love to hear your stories, nice to know we ALL make mistakes. You are right there to help him out. Do you two sing together? Our pastor's wife is very supportive too. He is lucky to have you.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik