Sunday, March 8, 2009

I Don't Do Accents

I have to admit that if I'm talking to you and you have an accent, then 99.9 percent of our conversation will not be understood. I don't understand why I'm so accent challenged, even when the person is speaking English but I am.

Case in point...my best friend and I were at the Cheesecake Factory and the waitress whose name was Inga or something close to it said, "Would you like bed and vodka?" I looked at my friend and she looked at me. I had hoped she would answer her but since she didn't, I asked her, "Exucse me???" meaning for her to repeat it, which she did. Hmmm, bed and vodka. Sure! So I told her, "Sure!" After she left, my friend asked, "Are they giving massages while we wait for our food?" I said, "I dunno but if vodka is involved, sounds god to me." Well, a few minutes later, it hit me,. She said, "Would you like bread and butter?" Big difference from bed and vodka.

Another time, my ex and I went out to eat shortly after Christmas and the waiter said, "Haba now habba nu yeah". I said, "Thank you." although I had no idea what he said. I started to laugh as the ridiculousness of the whole thing while my ex gave me dirty looks. Finally, it hit me...he said, "Have a nice happy new year!" Makes sense to me!

9 comments:

Cinder Rail'lee said...

hahahah, I used to be the same way. You have to read their lips. I can't hear people sometimes, because of their tone its either too low or too high, or they mumble. Frustrating at times to say the least!
I always stare at peoples mouths so I can understand what it is they are saying!

skywind said...

Oh, be careful that every people has its own accent speak. Ah not to does not recognize! :)
Health is the Greatest Happiness
The World at The Present

Pancake said...

I can be frustrated too, but if I can see their face I am good, if they are on the phone I am a goner!

Anonymous said...

HA! It can be so frustrating!

jill jill bo bill said...

I am the same way. DUH!!!

Deb said...

Vodka and bed sound great. Really.

travel girl said...

While in a sandwich shop in London I was ordering a sandwich and the girl behind the counter was naming things, one at a time to see if I wanted them on my sandwich. With every question I had to say'pardon me?" i knew she was speking English but I just couldn't understand her.

Jill said...

lol.. Thank goodness I can understand when I am out with my parents because they will also just say THANK YOU no matter what the person is saying...

American Homemaker said...

That's hilarious :)

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik