Not wanting to take away from the religious significance of the Easter celebration, I bit into a cute little duckie Peeps and yuck, it still tasted like I remembered it. Full of sugar and dye and marshmallowy. Double yuck!
But, one thing the Peeps did was bring back memories of Easters long ago. When I was a little girl, Easter meant many things. It meant:
1. Sitting down the night before, getting my hair washed, pressed with a hot comb and then curled in sponge curlers.
2. Rehearsing the Easter church program speech over and over again, even if it was only one line. I remember one year, my speech was, "He rose!" Not too difficult to forget.
3. Coloring (dying) eggs the night before. It meant coloring a dozen eggs regardless of whether they got eaten or not.
4. Warnings from my mom, the next day, not to get dirty while we paraded around in our "Easter dress and bonnets".
5. It also meant being uncomfortable for the sake of looking cute. The petticoats were always itchy and once the curlers came out, the hair was bouncy and curly, just like Shirley Temple's hair.
6. Getting Easter baskets filled with giant colored candy eggs that were marshmallows but tasted like toilet bowl cleaner. It also meant, solid chocolate bunnies that after a few bites made me feel ill.
7. Going to church where the elderly ladies showered us with more hard boiled eggs. Before church was over, we had a basket full.
8. Sitting still while it seemed like church last 4 hours instead of actually 1 and a half hours.
9. Easter dinner with relatives. It also meant sitting on the floor on newspapers and napkins tucked under my chin so that I wouldn't get my dress dirty. It meant ham, collard greens, potato salad and candied yams. It meant homemade yeast rolls and pound cake with strawberries and coconut cake. It meant hunting for Easter eggs and dividing them up after it was all said and done.
10. It meant going back to church before Easter was over, wearing the same clean dress and sitting still all over again.
The memories bring a smile to my face. Those really were the good ol days.
Happy Easter Everyone!!
Close Encounters of the Caymanian Kind
4 hours ago