Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My list of lists

When I was a kid, I collected "stuff" ... not junk..stuff. Either way, to my mom, it was junk. I collected rocks, marbles, stamps, seashells and lists. I didn't realize that I collected lists until....yesterday.

My fist list I made when I was about 8 years old. It was a list of baby names that I decided that I would name my babies when I was old enough to have some of my own. I added to that list it seemed like, every day. I came up with great names too and the list carried on even until my second daughter was born. I've always liked names and even now, when I hear beautiful names, I think to myself, "Hmmmm, maybe I'll remember that name in case I have a grandbaby or two or three or maybe a new puppy.

The next list I collected was the what I'd do when I was rich list. The list started out like this:

My sister and I wrote a letter to "The ladies of the orphanage". We asked to adopt every baby that didn't have a home, including dogs, birds and cats. We wanted to buy a big house for all of them to live. Then, with some of the money, I'd buy a motorhome and travel everywhere. Then, I'd buy a house. A big house that my twin sister and I decided we'd share. Her and her husband and kids would have the upstairs area and me and my boo and kids would have all of the downstairs. The list grew larger and larger.

I also kept a crush list. Those were the boys that I had crushes on. When one of them made me mad, I'd cross his name off of that list.

Then, there was the best friend list. Of course my sister was my best friend but there were always other kids that were "best friends" too. The moment that they overstepped boundaries, they were crossed off the list.

One time, our neighbor who was a "best friend" on the list, came over to play. She started to act like a brat. Of course my sister and I innocently (yeah right) asked her to leave. She refused so we beat her up. Yeah. We acted like hooligans. We jumped on her and tore her dress and she ran home crying. Her mom and dad came over with her crying hysterically, to talk to our parents. Gulp. I looked at her dress, torn up and thought, "Dang, we're in trouble now." We got spanked but her name also got crossed off the list.

As I got older, I made lists of what I wanted to be when I grew up. The list varied. One minute, I was going to be a singer and travel around the world. Then, on the list I wrote, actress, a teacher, a doctor, a writer and a veterinarian. My how my list changed!

Aftr my divorce, I collected a list of must have's and can't haves when I began dating again. Must have: !. Accepts me just the way I am Can't Have: 1. Can't wear false teeth

Through my lists, I've learned much about myself. Not only am I more focused on making something happen, I hold myself accountable for not making it happen. List collecting is not such a bad deal after all!!

10 comments:

Sandi said...

I love this post. I was a list maker too. I still am. When I was in 5th grade I read a book titled Anastasia again. She was a list maker too. I had thought I was the only kid alive that made lists. We would have been BFF's you and I!

Unknown said...

Anastasia Krupnik! I so remember her! I loved her lists and I totally agree. We would've been BFF's for sure.

Nana said...

lol! I used to make lists of all the things I must do in my life (I think I'll post it at some point).I made lists of pros & cons of guys I dated, lists of boys I kissed, lists of clothes I wanted to buy...
Nowadays, my lists are my monthly budget (bills, things to buy) or writing projects.
LOL. I can't believe you guys both beat that little girl.. I feel bad for her, lol. I wonder if she still remembers it, & if she does, if she's traumatized.
Oh, and I have a gf named Alena Krupnik. She's russian. Can I join the BFF circle?

Sweet Tea said...

I wish I had my old lists. How lucky you are to still have them. That's your history. Amazing!
Great Post!

Lin said...

Are you a Virgo by any chance? I think Virgos like order and lists. Yep--I'm guilty of lists as well!

I'm curious--did you use any of your baby names from when you were young?

Unknown said...

@Lin, I'm a Leo. My birthday is in July. I'm not sure if that means I'm a "normal" or not.

I used both of my daughters names from the list. Just a different spellings and variations.

It's funny how Sandi and I think alike because two of her kids have names that I had on my list.

Veronica Lee said...

I'm a list maker too !! Nothing beats the satisfaction when something is accomplished and you can strike the item off a list.

Cinder Rail'lee said...

I LOVE LISTS!
You rock it Simone! I have lists but nothing like yours. I should, maybe I'd have something to reflect back on. instead of trying to "remember" LOL.
We both know I can't remember anything! =/ LOL
How'd the pizza come out?

Deidra said...

You have a huge heart! So much room in there for people and dreams and hopes and wishes! Thanks for this post. I'm so glad you kept your lists!

Justine said...

Holy cow woman, you still have all those lists from when you were a kid!? I loved the list about what you'd do if you were rich. Saving babies? Awwwwwwwww! Even though you beat up your friend and ripped her dress, you already had a big heart at that age!
No false teeth. Baaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

Justine :o )

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik