Mandy at Mandy's Life After 30has given a great holiday challenge that I couldn't pass up. I hope that you'll play along as well. Even if you're of a different faith that may not celebrate Christmas, please tell about your traditions and what makes them special.
(1) What is your favorite Christmas movie?
Hands down...Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown. It is the OFFICIAL ushering in the holidays once that has been played. I know it by heart but love to watch it over and over again.
(2) What is your LEAST favorite Christmas movie?
Remakes of a classic like The Simpsons Christmas Carol....anything that takes away from the beauty of the classic original.
(3) What is your favorite Christmas song?
O Come All Ye Faithful...sung by Luther Vandross. I play that one for months after Christmas. I also love, Do You Hear What I Hear? by Whitney Houston before her voice was messed up.
(4) What Christmas song(s) drives you crazy?
I'm not fond of the song, Blue Christmas.
(5) What is your favorite Christmas drink? (i.e. egg nog, hot chocolate)
Thanks to being lactose intolerant I don't do egg nog and I'm not even sure if I like it anymore. I love coffee with the peppermint tootsie pops used to stir it. It tastes so much like Christmas.
(6) What is your favorite Christmas memory?
When my family would get together on Christmas and we'd say our Christmas program parts for the whole family. We also sang and just spent time together as a family, eating, laughing and just enjoying time together.
(7) What is the best toy/gift you've received on Christmas?
My Velvet doll and my Barbie head. I think I combed and pulled on her head until the long hair wouldn't shorten anymore.
(8) What is the worst toy/gift you've received on Christmas?
A fish aquarium instead of the pigmy goat my sister and I wished and begged Santa for.
(9) What do you LOVE about the holidays?
The Christmas lights and music and just the feeling in the air. There's even a certain smell in the air that only captures Christmas.
(10) What annoys you about the holidays?
People being obnoxious and greedy and rude and impatient.
(11) Do you prefer star or angel on top of a Christmas tree? Or something else?
I have an angel now but I used to have a star.
(12) What is your family favorite recipe at Christmas?
Grits and ham and biscuits for breakfast. It's a given! For dessert, there's always German Chocolate Cake and Cherry Cream Cheese pie.
(13) Are you a Grinch or a Who at Christmastime?
Definitely a Who! I try to make it a pleasant atmosphere filled with laughter and joy.
(14) Christmas light displays - Love them or Hate them?
Love them! The bright lights bring out the magic in children's eyes and that's the part that I love...the magic of it all.
(15) Santas at the mall - Fun times or Creepy?
Creepy. I never really felt that it was the "real deal".
(16) Christmas cards - do you send them, yes or no?
No. Definitely not this year since things are very tight.
(17) What is the best thing about Christmas, in your opinion?
Recognizing the significance of the holiday first of all and then, family togetherness. I love just hanging out and laughing with my family.
(18) What is the worst thing about Christmas?
Taking the tree down and putting it all away until the next year.
(19) When do you put the tree up and take it down?
Day after Thanksgiving. We take a tree down the day after New Years.
(20) Out of the 12 days of Christmas, which day and item would you want your truelove to give to you?
Five golden rings. I'd have those puppies melted into one nice gold ring with maybe a diamond in the center. Nothing gaudy, just nice.
(21) Why do you think that Grandma got run over by a reindeer?
Because Grandma had taken her hearing aids off for the night and went out to call her kitty cat in. The cat ran out in the street and Grandma didn't realize that the sleigh was swooping down on her.
(22) Who is your favorite reindeer?
Rudolf because no matter how different he was, he still played a very important part in the whole toy delivery business.
(23) Do you believe in Santa Claus?
Heck yeah! He lives within our imaginations.
(24) What is your favorite smell at Christmastime?
Pine trees and gingerbread cookies.
(25) What would make you happy at Christmas this year?
Having time with the family. I'm not even sure if there is anything I want or need other than just the time spent with them. That is more than enough.
The Beloved Hope Chest
8 hours ago