I don't know about you but towards the end of the year, after all the holiday festivities and balancing the bills, taking down the tree and eating the last Christmas goodies, I go into what I call processing mode.
I'm a deep thinker anyway but like a pregnant woman that begins nestie when it's almost time to deliver, I'm processing before the New Year. I'm thinking of events of 2009 and about where I'm at and where I'd like to be. I think about loved ones lost this year and the blessings of those who's lives were healed from a physical or emotional ailment. I think of what I have and need and what I have and don't need. I think about what I can give away. I think of ways I'd like to give to others.
I think of how hope was a HUGE word for me this year - 2009. Without hope, I think I would've wanted to curl up in a ball and stay there. But, I had hope that there was more to come and He's shown me that in so many ways. I've had disappointments in people, places of employment and in even books that I've read. (See how little and big disappointments can be?) But, I have also had dreams come true from hoping. In fact, because of hope I have found inspiration in areas like blogging that I never anticipated.
As I continue to process it all, I'm going to rely solely on God to guide me into the new year with his Promises. You see, he promises to never leave me nor forsake me. He also promises that his love never fails...although disappointments may come...He never fails. So my word for 2010 is Promise. Also, promise to me means that it will happen, that it is a deep commitment not to be broken...so with that...I have hope for the promises of a new year.
Handmade and Used gifts for the family
My family (TV Boo and Married Boo and Son In Boo) and Boo and I decided to buy gifts that were handmade, used or made ourselves. I can say that this was one of the best Chrstismases ever because there was some unique but very cherished gifts given. I know that we will do it again next year. Here is a glimpse of some of the gifts...
1) I made a Zen Word Garden for Married Boo. She is great with words and loves Scrabble so, I made a garden of letters for her to rake and sift and create words as she is just relaxing. Also, she got a Vegetarian recipe book with 1000 recipes. I find it at the used store. In the picture is also the abstract art that she (Married Boo) painted for TV Boo. It is gorgeous.
2) Son In Boo is taking Jeet Kun Do and is into martial art and thinks Bruce Lee was one cool dude. So, I decided to play a trick on him. I bought a t-shirt and drew a stick figure and wrote Bruce Lee underneath. I wanted to see what his reaction would be. He told me that he LOVED it. We were all smiling because I knew that he just didn't want to hurt his mil but was thinking, "You've got to be kidding me!) A few gifts later, he opened the "REAL" Bruce Lee t-shirt from me.
3) I made TV Boo fortune cookies made out of sculpey clay. The rest of the take out box had chow mein noodles with loose fortunes. She LOVED it. It will last her for a while and when she's feeling like she needs a smile, she can break open a cookie. She also got a crab pot since she loves crab legs as much as I do. Also, a photography book and an ornamental owl that she has named Chester. (She likes owls.)
4) Boyfriend Boo got a classic wooden pinball game and a quesadilla maker since he is king of quesadillas.
5) Baby Boo got a few things that were bought new but some of the used things she got, she loved just as much. She got two videos (yes, we still use our vcr) and a soft padded bowling set. She loved being "the winner" even if it was one pin she knocked down.
6) I received beautiful handmade earrings and a candle that smells out of this world.
So many more things were given and received. We all agreed that this was definitely a non-stressed Christmas as a result. (Plus, I didn't do a traditional Christmas dinner. We had pizza.)
Last but not least, I'm very, very puzzled by the orbs on quite of the few of the pictures taken. Here is one (please don't pay attention to my big butt...just the orbs, k?) What do you think of orbs? I have no clue what they are and what they represent.
17 minutes ago