Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I love my dad!

My dad is definitely my grandpa's son. (The grandpa that didn't "know me".) He is gentle, funny, engaging and caring. I honestly don't think he realizes that about himself.

What I know for sure is that my dad really wanted a son and finding out that twins were on the way, he anticipated at least one boy in the bunch. Instead, he got two little rambunctious girls. When we weren't climbing over chairs or up trees, we would sit still as he held us in his lap in his favorite reclining chair.

After being in California for over 40 years, he and my mom relocated to North Carolina. It was tough. My dad is one that loves routine and familiarity so the trip was a difficult one for him. Plus, that meant having to say goodbye to his twins.

Now that he's settled in, I talk to him regularly...in fact, every Sunday because he expects that I will call on Sunday and close to 11:00 my time. If not, then he will begin to wonder if I'm going to call or not.

He is a man of few words but when he speaks, he has much to say. Here is what I've learned from my comical dad:

1) Sports, any sports, is good for the soul. He knows sports and athletes like they are close relatives. If there's anything you need to know about Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant or any other athletes and their families, he will let you know.

2) Toothpicks are the cheapest stress relievers around.

3) Everything tastes better with mustard.

4) Sometimes experiencing something means living it vicariously through someone else.

5) He's slow to judge and quick to love. He may not exactly say, "I love you" but he shows it without having to say it.

6) You can discuss dryer lint with my dad and he'd be sure to get a kick out of it. There are no topics that he doesn't find interesting.

7) Dadgummit is better than saying the F word any day.

8) My dad taught me all I know about American picking. If it's in the trash, it's up for grabs.

9) Hot dogs are weenies and not the other way around.

10) My dad has no enemies. He is loved by all.

My dad may be as down to earth as they come. He doesn't care much for bougie stuff. He is content eating out of paper plates and watching a game while visiting with people. He may not care much about the latest fashions either but if it's comfortable, it's good enough for him.

The truth is, that's me! Well, most of it. So when someone says, "You're just like your father" I take it as a complete compliment and reply, "I sure am."

14 comments:

Anita said...

I like your Dad!
Based on what you've said, I know that I would love talking with him.
How blessed you are! :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a sweet tribute to your daddy. I was the son my daddy never had. I had boots, cowboy hats and western shirts on every time dad had a say. I always had my trusty gun holster filled with extra caps for the cap gun. You dad sounds amazing and I can see how you could be proud a punch to be called your father's daughter!

Enjoy this day with all it's blessings!!!

Mari said...

Great tribute to your Dad! He sounds like a wonderful guy!

Respectfully Yours said...

Nice to hear someone truly appreciate their dad for all they are. You are a wonderful daughter and I am sure he loves you so much.

Buckeroomama said...

What a beautiful post about your dad, Simone. :)

Andrea said...

I did NOT know anyone used "Dadgummit" but me. My grandfather who was a lay pastor use to say it in times of extreme frustration and of course his little shadow (me) picked up.
Hugs, andrea

Ina in Alaska said...

Thank you for giving us a wonderful description of your dad! I really have no relationship with mine. It is always so nice to learn of a loving father/daughter(s) relationship. xoxo

Terra said...

Your dad is a treasure and it is wonderful that you recognize him as a treasure, and that you call him each Sunday. I am sure he very much looks forward to your calls.
Did you get my email that you won a copy of Ladies' No. 1 Detective Agency, on my blog?

Shannon K. said...

It's very apparent that you have a lot of love and respect for him. I love this post.

Oh, and I love mustard too ;)

Veronica Lee said...

Your dad sounds like a wonderful man.
Sadly, I don't have a good relationship with my dad.

That was a beautiful tribute to your dad.

Donna B. said...

That was wonderful. You know how Dad stories get to me...you are Blessed for sure...and he has double the pleasure with you and your sister.

Anonymous said...

Your dad sounds so wonderful! I'm so happy he's still in your life.

Chapters From My Life said...

It was wonderful knowing your dad through your blog.. You are blessed to have him in your life.

Tiffany said...

Dad's are great, your lucky to still have yours. I miss mine so much.

Tiffany
http://liferequiresmorechocolate.blogspot.com

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik