Right when I planned to do a post about our 1922 house, I came home to find it stripped bare, as if termites had eaten the siding off of it. Even the beautiful climbing rose, over the doorway, was demolished. There was a "reasonable" explanation....wood rot. So, the house is going under intense "surgery" and in the meantime, there's nothing at the moment, I'd be brave enough to show.
I've never been a Bonus Mom before. I really hate the word step-mother. It's not that I have this view that I'm "their" mom and need to show who's boss because they have a mom and I'm not it. But, I think the word "step" throws me off. It makes me think of either someone that is getting stepped on or someone who is doing the stepping. So, here I am....a happy Bonus Mom.
Here's what I've learned being a Bonus Mom....
1) Certain foods are only acceptable if they are brand acceptable. Power Puff Boo (the youngest of the bunch) is a brand enthusiast and by the wink of a caterpillar's eye, she won't eat unless she knows what brand it is. Then, if it's not let's say, "Bush's baked beans" she's not eating it!
2) Boy Wonder Boo (the oldest and only boy boo) always starts his morning out singing. He sings throughout the day. I have yet to hear whether he sings in his sleep but I bet he does.
3) Cuddle Boo, (middle boo) has the organizing, rearranging, unplugging, taking apartingest spirit I've ever seen. One morning, I got up and every picture (15 to be exact) was hanging on the wall.
4) Hop Boo (oldest boo who is Her Own Person) likes to shock everyone with threats of tattoos, piercings, shaved and dyed hair and "cuddly" rats as sleep over guests. She doesn't realize that nothing she says or does can really astound me. Been there, done that. I still adore her.
5) Selah has now found out what being "one of the girls" is all about. She has a non-stop appetite for things that the girly boos feed her and a beggar she is. (She used to have manners!)
6) Sticky Kool-aid on wooden floors is NOT soothing to this Bonus Mom's clean gene. I'm trying hard....so hard...to overlook the crumbs, spills, wet towels on the floor, unwrapped food and cooking experiments in the fridge.
7) I can't stand the song, "I love you like a love song, baby!" What happen to music that was intellectually catchy???
8) J will do anything to appease his girly boos even if it means watching the Disney Channel and shows like, The Life and Times of an American Teen and Pregnant at 16.
9) Having all the Boos here to celebrate my birthday meant more to me than all of them will ever know.
10) I treasure the quiet (but it's mainly when they are asleep).
What have you learned?