Monday, August 15, 2011

What Did You Dream?

My twin sister and I started a ritual when we were very young of waking up in the morning and asking each other, “What did you dream?” Sometimes, the dreams were scary! Other times, they were goofy and silly. We would laugh and ask questions like, “Then what did you do? Were you scared? Where was I?” It was a normal part of our childhood.

Now that I’m 48, I’ve discovered that my childhood wasn’t at all normal. Don’t get me wrong; it was good, in fact, great BUT it wasn’t typical of most childhoods.

I had my twin sister to share my thoughts, fears, wishes and dreams with. With her, I could be quiet and shy or obnoxious and loud. I could ask stupid curious questions or share my new found discoveries.

I see how much my dreams have changed over the years. I still sometimes dream that I’ve lost my car in the parking lot and can’t seem to locate it but I also dream dreams that realistically, I want more than anything for them to happen.

One of those dreams is to write full-time, using my passion for words to inspire others. Another is to have an epic garden – both flowers and veggies where I can spend time nurturing and enjoying the harvest. I also crave a special place of my own to create – to paint, draw, think and write or stare at the ceiling if I want. Lastly, J and I both discovered the joy of a B and B on our honeymoon. It may take years but I dream of a place for others to come to relax, retreat and rejuvenate….a home away from home.

Dreaming isn’t scary…it’s exciting! It pushes beyond the limits of your imagination and propels you into an area that maybe you never thought possible.

What did you dream?

14 comments:

Mari said...

Your dreams are all things to strive for! I think I need to work on some long range dreams as well. :)

Liz Mays said...

I have a feeling your garden will become a reality, and maybe your B&B will too!

I have actually kinda squashed my dreams and no longer allow myself the luxury of having them. That way I won't be disappointed. Too much of a realist, I suppose.

Buckeroomama said...

I love B&B's. Given a choice between a hotel and a B&B, I would pick a B&B anytime! If you open one and if we happen to be in OR again, I would love to stay there. =)

Brian Miller said...

this is really cool...may start asking my kids what they dreamed...we need more dreams in our lives these days...and encouragement to chase them...

Formerly known as Frau said...

I usually drier about the events of the day...or parts of shows I watched before going to bed. My daughter has wild dreams that are long and full of detail.

ethelmaepotter! said...

Oh, I always feel so good when I visit you.

A B and B has been a part of my dream for a long time. Also a camp for kids, non-profit, for disadvantaged or handicapped kids, somewhere they could go and have fun for a week, and let their parents go off for a worry-free vacation, which most parents of these children sorely need.

Neither will ever happen unless I win the lottery, but that's what dreams are all about, right?

Reyna said...

I hope you realize that you already write to inspire!

In the short time I have followed you (that sounds scary?!) you have made many things happen for yourself.

Keep dreaming and going forward.
You are well on your way to a B&B or whatever your passion/s may be!

SouthLakesMom said...

I think your B&B, with a huge garden to sustain and beautify it, that caters to those who need a space to create is just what you need to work towards. Believe me, the people you meet along the way will give you PLENTY of ideas for your writing, and you will bless them with your pursuit of your dream!

In other words, I think all of your dreams sound like one big dream and completely DOABLE! Start with prayer and see what God does!

Chapters From My Life said...

I day dream and night dream.. both in a weird unexpected out of world way. ;)

Unknown said...

A bed and breakfast! How fantastic would that be. I hope you can have one someday. You could definitely utilize your epic garden there : )

I also hope you can have your special space to create. That would be so lovely.

Keep on writing!

Unknown said...

I have had some crazy dreams in my life. Sometimes, my husband and I will discuss our dreams. His will be calm and of better days for us and our family.

Sounds like your honeymoon was amazing.

Petula said...

My dreams used to communicate different things going on in my life and how I felt about them. Now, as a result of the meds and lack of good sleeping, my dreams are evasive and crazy.

I used to be like blueviolet, but I've changed my tune some. I still believe in my dreams the only thing is that I have to work in that direction if I really want to see my dreams come to fruition.

Veronica Lee said...

I'd love to experience staying in a B&B. Hope your dream will become a reality, Simone!

*Tanyetta* said...

I hate when I can't remember a dream. Especially if it was a really good one where I wake up in a sweat. WOW!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik