Monday, November 14, 2011

A Letter to Older Me

Dear Older Me,


I know I’ve got a few more years to go before I’m considered “old” so I’m telling you now, you’re in for the ride of your life. You will NOT grow old without a fight. It’s not that you’re in denial; you’re going to find that there’s way too much life to be lived still.


Play lots - video games, dance, paint, play with a yoyo, jump rope while singing the childhood jump rope songs, take in some homeless animals, and LAUGH!!! Create moments…seek moments where laughter is overflowing. Blow milk bubbles (of course, don’t forget to take Lactaid), lie on your back and watch the clouds. Have a picnic with your precious J, romancing and loving ever moment of his touch. (PS…there’s no such thing as being too old for romance).


You may not like the word “no” very much but brace yourself. Not every idea will be met with thumbs up, even from your kids. But that’s okay. By then, there will be ankle locators for the elderly so they’ll keep tabs on you wherever you are.


Oh, and by the way, prepare yourself, Older Me, because you are taking that Thelma and Louise trip with your twin sis living life close to the edge. Bring plenty of extra underpants because the trip will cause leakage in great proportions from laughing so hard. Also, never leave home without enough money in your pocket to either call a cab or for bail money. Never say never to jumping out of planes, going on a safari in Africa or staying in a 5 star hotel, being treated like royalty. You deserve to be waited on hand and foot, even if they are a bit wrinkly.


You’re going to love being a Grammie. It’s going to feel like nothing you’ve ever felt before to hold your beautiful grandbabies and know that you are holding a piece of heaven here on earth. It’s okay to slip the grandbabies cookies when their parents aren’t looking and give them the wink. It will always just be your secret.


Find a place to hang your car keys. You will lose them many times before you figure that one out.


As much as you hate the thought of hot flashes and irritability, enjoy every minute of it. It will save tons on the heating bill in the winter time.


When you get the urge to do something out of the ordinary, make sure that you tell J what it is and where you’re going, just in case, somehow, along the way, you get lost and can’t find your way back home.


Laugh when you wear two different shoes or drop half a bagel down your cleavage….at least you will still have cleavage, even if it is tucked inside of your socks.


Sing loudly…and trust me, others will sing right along with you.


Never fear admitting you’ve forgotten something. It’s not that you’re forgetful, your brain is just taking a power nap.


Cherish time cuddling, and holding hands. And KISS long and passionately. Most of all, love yourself and all the other things will fall right into place.


Signed,


The younger ME

17 comments:

Mari said...

I love this! There's a lot of wisdom in those words, and I have a feeling that older you will be the coolest old lady around!

Ina in Alaska said...

THIS is the Simone I am used to! Great post! Wonderful wisdom.

Chapters From My Life said...

I haven't been active on blog much and I miss the wonderful blog articles like yours so much. This is something I will have to remember... being 44 it will be good if I take a print out and keep it with me ;)

Rae said...

I love it. Wonderfully written. Wise words.

MissKris said...

I wrote a similar letter to myself on my blog a few years ago. I need to look it up and see how true it's gone so far, lol!

Jill said...

This is wonderful advice! I really needed this smile today so thank you so much. Have a great week!

Blessings,
Jill

Linda Myers said...

Ah, yes! Thanks!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

....and live baby live!!!

Woohoo, this was great...I loved all your grand advice and take it from an old chick...it's right on!

I had to learn the hard way it was OK to say the 'no' word. I yessed myself right into a fetal position for almost a year. I try to convince the young mothers I mentor that 'no' can be a good word.

I so enjoyed this letter to your older self.

God bless and enjoy this beautiful day my friend. :o)

Connie said...

I could have written that letter. There are some great times comin for ya!

GottaLoveMom said...

OLD is just an indication of what's in your driver's license.
Totally agree with you -- we have to keep smiling, laugh and dance!

Veronica Lee said...

Beautifully written, Simone. Great pearls of wisdom. Don't lose your joie de vivre with age. Age is just a number.

Have a nice day!

Buckeroomama said...

Wise, wise words, Simone, and beautifully written, too. :)

Liz Mays said...

Now do you think you would have read that and listened with an open heart? I'm so stubborn that I know I would probably roll my eyes at anything I ever had to tell myself, even if it was as wise as your words.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This. Is. Fabulous.

Simone at her best.

Leslie Basil Payne said...

You did it again! I love this and obviously so do many others. I laughed out loud and nodded my head like I was listening to a sermon. Way to go!

Unknown said...

We should all do this. This is why I love visiting your blog.

Annesphamily said...

What wonderful wisdom. I Love your writings.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik