I'm down but not out...at least not too far gone that I can't tell you about the things I've learned. It's been a very interesting week.
1) I just found a new gross pet peeve. I was on the phone when the person that I was talking to announced, "Hold on, I have to spit." Ewwww. Seriously? Did you have to tell me that? Of course, I listened for the sound of him spitting too. Gross!
2) I discovered the new cheapskate...when a person moves out, go in to the empty house and take the shower door, the knobs off of cabinets, just plain ol' help yourself! I saw it for myself...a guy carrying a shower door back to his house from across the street.
3) I just can't bring myself to watch award shows anymore. I'm not sure if it's that it's no longer interesting to watch someone get up and make a drunk award acceptance speech or that I really don't care what someone is barely wearing on the red carpet.
4) Usually, when I have a craving something, it means that I'm deficient in something. Like when I crave peanut butter, usually, I need some protein in my diet to bring my blood sugar levels up. I'm craving won ton soup. I really, really want some won ton soup! What am I deficient in?
5) Seeing the ex with his wife and child doesn't affect me anymore. I can proudly say that I've moved on.
6) There are certain smells that still remind me of my childhood...like honeysuckles, sweet potato pie, the smell of a brand new magazine (has something to do with a photography book that my sister and I used to smell all the time), the smell of gasoline (another one of those clueless childhood smells), the smell of the library, Elmer's glue and vanilla flavoring.
7) Certain sounds remind me of my childhood....one sound...skkkkrrrrttt...that reminds me of running with my slippery Mary Janes and sliding only to bite the pavement. The sound of the heater coming on in the morning, reminds me of when my dad would get up so early in the morning to make sure his family was warm enough to get out of bed and start our day. Swish, swish, swish...the sound of the hula hoop. Don't know where I got the hips to move it but I sure could, back in the the day. The sound of the ice cream truck driving through the neighborhood. Back then, candy was a nickel or a dime and ice cream was a quarter. The good ol days!
8) Sometimes when we face the unfamiliar, we find out that we are exactly where God wants us to be.
9) It amazes me how clueless people can be about racism. Yes there are differences in colors of our skin and for some, that will always be a factor in judging others but when it comes to someone needing a friend, needing help or someone to reach out to them, color SHOULD NOT matter.
10) I'm sad that helping the lady at the assisted living place has had to end because she is having screaming episodes now and accusing everyone of stealing her money. Although she isn't accusing me, I would rather visit her when she isn't outraged and accusatory and not pleasant to be around.
What have you learned?
m o n d a y
1 hour ago